Random Acts of Kindness Online
There are many wonderful things you can do to help others, but volunteerism, charity and kindness can require a lot of time, something especially difficult when you have a busy schedule or small children. The following are some great ways to put your time or money to work in making a positive difference from your couch for individuals and non-profit organizations:
- Random Kindness: A “subreddit” of Reddit, a public forum, where you can request and gift acts of kindness.
- Random Acts of Amazon: Similar to Random Kindess, Random Acts of Amazon is another subreddit where people post their Amazon Wish Lists and, as a kind soul, you can gift an item. Random Wishlist provides you with just that or you can search by similar interests via Wishlist Database Search (orange buttons on right hand side). Here’s how you send a gift.
- Random Acts of Pizza: Where you can gift a pizza to somebody in need via an eGift Card sent to their email. In the subreddit, individuals will provide a brief description about their circumstances and are very good at paying it forward. Similarly, see Food Pantry and Assistance.
- Donate to a Non-Profit: There are over 1.5 million non-profit organizations, but here a few of my favorites for personal reasons: Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America for Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerlative Colitis and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, American Cancer Society and Help-Portrait, a global movement of photographers, hair stylists and makeup artists providing no-cost portraits annually in early December.
- Volunteer Match: Check out the virtual opportunities! A combination of local and virtual, Volunteer Match connects volunteers and non-profits based on shared interests. Presently, they have matched 8.2 million opportunities.
- Skills for Change: Non-profits’ quick, e-volunteering or virtual opportunities posted as challenges
- UN Volunteers: Virtual opportunities geared toward sustainable human development
- Click for a Cause: Greater Good and its subsidiaries for Hunger, Breast Cancer, Animals, Veterans, Autism, Alzheimer’s, Diabetes, Rainforest and Literacy, and Care2 for Children, Breast Cancer, Animal Rescue, Rainforest, Violence Against Women, Global Warming, Ocean, Seals, Big Cats, Primates and Wolves.
- Donate Old Stuff: Post things you no longer use to FreeCycle or Craigslist. You do have to request to join FreeCycle or create an account on Craigslist, but both are free.
“How Many Nonprofit Organizations Are There in the U.S.?” GrantSpace. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Aug. 2014.